Peaknit

Thursday, February 05, 2009

It's a Red Velvet Day!

Picture 054

It didn't really start out that way. My little one is home with a fever and the sneezy/ coughy combo - so I am home with her. I am not fond of vomitous sick days but this is actually a sick day I don't mind - although I wish it was not at the expense of my little one. The TLC consists of blanket layering, pillow fluffing, tissue running, kissing rosy cheeks and "I bet if you lick my spoon you'll feel better". So far, so good, except that pesky fever lingers.

Sick days of this variety are a bit of unexpected decadence, between my mommy duties I can do things around the house I wasn't expecting to get done. I have been wanting to make a batch of something Red Velvet. I ripped this cupcake recipe out of a magazine from work and secreted it home. One batch of is done, another baking...if they are as good as the batter, we have a winner. They are dense little cakes. Cream cheese frosting too. Note to self *have more food coloring on hand next time for a redder velvet.*

In addition to little cakes, I have two big cakes of Red Velvet roving from Hello Yarn. I was lucky enough to purchase some from a club member, and it has been asking to be spun, who am I to say no?

I am not typically "into" heart-y things - I was a tom-boy growing up - heart = girly. But somehow February is an exception. My husband and I do not do much to celebrate Valentines, it's kind of another day for us - but I love to make and purchase goodies for my girls and make Valentines. License to girl-i-fy everything, to be almost giddy. It makes my insides feel all warm and fuzzy to make special goodies. The Valentine's season is too short - it is such a bright spot during such a dreary season. Nothing like an entire aisle at the grocery store devoted to candy to make me smile.

My eldest daughter and I made these cool Valentines for her classmates yesterday. The idea is straight from the February Family Fun magazine.

Picture 045

They are conversation box ipods, complete with "headphones" - you can see the whole version here. I felt that warm feeling when my husband came home and saw them. He said that all our daughter had talked about yesterday morning was how we were going to make these, aw. It was fun - we pretended we were working in an ipod factory with our little assembly line. And we only ate one box.

Next up, Lib is on a quest to make the prize-winning-est Valentine box. Forever, be still my craft-i-licious heart.

21 Comments:

Blogger YarnSnob said...

Hope the little one gets well soon, not nice being sick. Give her plenty of TLC. The roving is beautiful, can't wait to see that spun up!

4:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is by far the best class Valentine idea I've ever seen. Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

5:34 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Hope your little ones fever breaks and she's feeling better soon!

The ipod's rock! Super fun Valentine's. :)

5:44 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

that's a cute idea with the ipods:)
I like the colors in the roving, bet this is super pretty when it's spun.
Hope everyone gets better soon.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

That's such a cute project! Sounds like you made the sick day as pleasant as possible.

Mmmm... red velvet cupcakes. I was admiring some in the pastry case at the coffee shop today. Maybe I should have indulged!

6:04 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I can see that your daughter gets her talent from you! What a GREAT idea for Valentine's day!
I hope the other one feels better soon. I hate fevers....

6:18 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

So creative - your post certainly brightened up a winter day here!

6:26 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Awww those are beyond cute!! Sadly my kids are store bought all the way:(

6:51 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Those are adorable iPod valentines!

I hope your little one is better soon.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't celebrate Val's Day. Even though it's just another day, I keep hoping for roses to appear. ;)

11:13 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

How cute are those ipod valentine's! Crafty girls you have!

And, delish!! Red velvet cupcakes...I may have to make a batch!!

12:42 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My daughter and I are making those same Ipod valentines tonight! And she also is sooooo excited. They are so fun. Can't wait to see that roving spun up....how gorgeous.

7:07 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

My daughter and I are making those same Ipod valentines tonight! And she also is sooooo excited. They are so fun. Can't wait to see that roving spun up....how gorgeous.

7:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope your little one is feeling better. Love the iPod boxes - such a creative idea!

8:03 AM  
Blogger ulli said...

fun! i can already imagine all the little ones pretending to listen to their fav. music.
and what is that lovely fiber next to your mixer?

10:46 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Those conversation heart iPods are ADORABLE! *Filing away the idea for when I have kids*.

And mmmmm....red velvet...

I hope your little one feels better soon!

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is the cutest idea! Hope she feels better soon!

2:50 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Those IPODs are DA Bomb! Man I would super excited too if I were going to be passing those out to my BFFs at school:)

4:14 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Those Valentine's are so cool. The kids will love them. Family Fun is so good.

Harmony Bar for knitting? That is cool too. What a fun spot to meet.

I can't even keep up with you, love your scarf and your Plucky Knitter yarn. What a blue that is! Wow. She is coming to the Knit In in March in Madison. I would like to go just to get some of her yarn.

Okay, you are on fire lately. Even baking red velvet cupcakes! Fantastic posts.

Take care, susie

7:32 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Sorry to hear your wee one is sick - I hope she gets well soon. I'm sure that red velvet batter must help :) And the valentine gifties are sooo very cute. How fun to have some mother daughter time working on them together.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

Hope everyone felt better by the week end. The Valentines are so cool! I may make a few special ones for my kidos and hubby.
I will have to try the red velvet cupcakes I love the word velvet.

6:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home