Peaknit

Sunday, February 08, 2009

pinch me

Seriously, I have been blessed with so many knitting friends lately. Yesterday, I enjoyed the day with Carolyn, a friend of my Boston-area knitting penpal, Christine. Long story short - Carolyn moved to Chicago - so I met her and Christine there last fall - and then Carolyn and I orchestrated a get together. Talk about paying it forward, thank you Christine, for sharing your friend.

We met at Fiddlehead Yarns in Kenosha, pretty close to the center of the map between our houses. What a charming store, I was pleasantly surprised. I guess I didn't have any expectations really, I was just looking forward to the meet up. The shop had some delightful yarns - Malabrigo for one. Plus, I got to see a Drops jacket in person. I purchased a few things - with no purpose so much as they looked so pretty in my hands together. I got some great buttons too. (I think yarnsnob has inducted me into some button-loving-club...)

Picture 062
I think I have an undiscovered orange fetish...

Then we had lunch at a delightful cafe - thank you Carolyn for loving egg salad and joining me in a two scoop shake right at the counter. We capped off the day with a mini knitfest at a local Starbucks. It was so nice to talk to someone with shared interests (a.k.a knitting), who is absolutely down-to-earth. The only thing that would have improved the day is if Christine could have been there.

The good news of the day did not end there. I came home to my swap package in the Vampire Valentine Swap. It was so thoughtfully created by Jennifer, at orange butter cat.

Picture 057

I think I have gushed about my Vamp-lust plenty, so I'll spare you - but the book with the Twilight movie characters may have to be tucked under my pillow, em. She also sent along Debbie Bliss to make Bella's Mittens. I have to admit I casted these on using some crummy, uninspiring yarn - so I am stoked to frog those and make way for DB goodness. Among other things - she made me a Chickadee Cowl out of some True Blood inspired Bill Compton yarn from Fresh from the Cauldron. Here's a close-up on my daughter, the yarn is silk/ merino - truly squishable. Seems quite exciting to have Bill Compton wrapped around my neck at any given time, huh? *wink wink*.

14 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

What a great time and great gifts ~ your daughter looks adorable in the cowl!

8:52 PM  
Blogger ulli said...

what a wonderful way to spend a saturday!

8:56 PM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Is the orange yarn (in hanks) Malabrigio? I also have an orange fetish (acknowledged)...and that yarn looks soooo yummy.

9:46 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a fabulous weekend you've had!! Knitting friends are the bestest!

And what an awesome package!! The cowl is gorgeous!! As is Edward...um...I mean the book looks cool :)

11:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for knitting friends! Your daughter is adorable in that pretty cowl!

1:33 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

The weekend sounds fantastic! I love the orange yarns....orange can be so cheery, especially this time of year.
Love the Vamp swap goodies too! That is a lovely cowl!

4:51 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

What a great time!! LOVE the orange, and your package is wonderful...that cowl is so pretty!

7:43 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

wow, what a great package! i love that chickadee cowl and i will take bill wrapped around my neck anytime!!! :) heh!

12:08 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

I had such a great time, too! It was perfect. And Fiddlehead was really fun to visit. I'm still thinking of that Drops jacket in the orange....

Glad your swap turned out so great. I'd hide that fan book under my pillow too! And DD looks too cute in the cowl.

12:39 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

How wonderful! Sounds like you had a great day. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying yarn just because it looks pretty in your hands. Great swap package, too! I think I need that Twilight movie companion. :)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! Knitters really are the best people. I'm heartily convinced.

11:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one *nice* swap package. I am hoping that someone gets me that Twilight book for my upcoming birthday...and I wish someone would hook me up with some DB to make the Bella mitts! God they look comfy...

And how cute is your daughter?!

12:33 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

I'm jealous of everything in this post: )

7:42 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Sounds like fun! I drive through Kenosha quite often, but I've never actually stopped there. And what a great swap pkg. Maybe your husband will surprise you by wearing fangs on Valentine's Day?!?! Just kidding. :-)

3:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home