Peaknit

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Saturday :: the everything hurts edition

Tis the season for aches and pains. Between pushing a bit too hard in yoga Thursday night and some headachey-throat-garbage, today = ugh...

But I have things to share and knitting and spinning is a worthy distraction from feeling sorry for myself. My knitting penpal, Christine and I did a single sock swap. We had planned this last year and it came to fruition this week. I have been waiting to share.

Picture 082

I chose the Marilinda sock by Cookie A. for Christine. I purchased some Woolen Rabbit Harmony Sock in Neptune and cast on before Inaugeration Day - thinking I would knit some Obama wisdom right into the leg. I loved this pattern - like most Cookie concoctions, it had just enough twists and turns to keep my interest. The heel flap was the most visually exciting I have done - the pattern runs down to the foot, a cable marks the center back right to the floor. I had done a lot of reading a Ravelry about how the gauge and fit was throwing people for a loop - I was thinking I chose lucky because that was not an issue for me - or so I thought. I really didn't make any significant changes on purpose. I did realize as I went to decrease for the toe that I had left 10 extra stitches on the sole - omg. But I had tried the sock on as I went and it was fitting. Christine's measurements up to the length of the foot are comparable to mine - I was stumped how I screwed up and yet it fit. So I went forward, promising to re-do it if it turned out not to fit the recipient. Strangely enough, it fit. So apparently, I did not choose lucky, I was just plain lucky.

Picture 098

In return, I got a Cookie A. sock also - you know what they say about great minds. The strange thing is that I had considered this sock hard before deciding finally on the Marilinda. Christine knit me the Marlene from the Fall/ Winter knit.1 in String Theory yarn, which I must attest - is super squishey. The rest of the swap package she sent simply (and literally) knocked my socks off. I need to go to swap school, because Christine's thoughtful package was amazing. Not just a perfectly fitting Marlene, but Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop in Pretty Woman...oh wait, that isn't the end either. Some gorgeous SW Merino Roving from an etsy seller, new to me, 1,000 Petals, candy, a pretty paperweight from another etsy person, 2 new books to read and an entertainment magazine with my Twilight loves in it. Wow - I was, and am speechless. Thank you!

Picture 103

21 Comments:

Blogger Wannabe said...

What a sweetie she is! Love the sock you knit for her and the one she knit for you. :)

BTW, that issue of EW also has the hottest pic of Kiefer Sutherland EVAH. OMG.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Wow! If those aren't two of the prettiest socks I've ever seen...

And what a fabulous swap package!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Your sock and hers are both so gorgeous! I gotta get my rear in gear and try a Cookie A. pattern. How fun to have a knitting pen pal and do one sock! Lucky you, she spoiled you rotten and I am sure you deserve every bit of it.

12:59 PM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Gorgeous socks.

1:07 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

And I got AMAZING stuff as well!! It was a pleasure swapping with you my dear. I would do it again in a heart beat. I'm glad you liked everything.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

Both socks are more than amazing! Such great stitch patterns!

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous socks you two have posted!

1:52 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

What a super nice package of goodies. Both socks are gorgeous.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Gorgeous socks! Beautiful knitting. :)
Hope you're feeling better soon.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing swap buddy! And the socks you knit are absolutely stunning. I have been admiring Woolen Rabbit from afar and I may have to try it now.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

What a great package!!! I hope your sore muscles fade away soon!

12:34 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Awesome swap, you both lucked out!!

8:30 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Both of the socks are just lovely!
Lucky girls - both of you!
I love that new pink yarn - YUM!

12:24 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Pretty socks, both of them. And it's funny (but not THAT surprising, I guess) that you both picked Cookie A. patterns!

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you know that I am not much of a sock knitter, but I thoroughly respect those who are. Those socks are really amazing. I especially like the brown ones. Every stitch a perfect one.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow I love both those sock patterns. Nice choices on both ends. :)

3:32 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

Wow! I'd be speechless too! Love the socks!!

10:42 AM  
Blogger Molly Bee said...

Wow! Great looking socks! What a great package. I read the Geography of Bliss. Great book!

11:33 AM  
Blogger bockstark.knits said...

wow, what an amazing package!

11:38 AM  
Blogger t does wool said...

socks...a sock swap...very cool...love them both.

6:17 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

You two are fabulous!! Great swap and absolutely stunning socks!! I saw a sneak peek at CookieA's new book at Stitches West... its a must! Just gorgeous patterns!

1:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home