Peaknit

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Comedy of Errors

QAL_basting
basting my quilt...

What a silly adventure this was. I cleared out my dining room, washed the floor the best it has seen in ages and followed Oh, Frannson's tutorial on making a quilt sandwich. Clearing a room with a family in the house is one thing, but add a dog, good grief. My dog is a total pansy. See, he cannot walk accross laminate florring without a rug for purchase. He might start out confident but then he looks down and realizes, he is on a slippery floor - then it's like icecapades. Well, my quilt acted as his raft more than once, which caused chaos. I finally had to make a barrier with chairs to keep him out. It got done, but not without a shriek or two, and a few expletives even.

The quilt has now entered the actual machine quilting stage. I have never quilted anything this size - it is a new challenge for sure squashing the fabric in the right places to keep it from dragging on the needle. But I am liking it. Well, except that my shoulders keep crawling up to my ears, and then they hurt...I am 3 blocks away from being half done. I am setting milestones to check off my progress -I can see the light. If I make it to the end, I think I will treat myself to a massage to get my shoulders back where they belong. Then I'll come home and snuggle under my quilt.

I made another Molly Wizenberg confection today. Plum Clafoutis - I had to look up the pronunciation on that one. I purchased the most perfect plums at Brennan's yesterday and knew they would grow up to be a tart-like dessert. Clafoutis was the closest recipe that appealed to me. It can be likened to custard or flan - a light batter poured over fruit - often cherries. Im' in love. Again. And the best part, it's ridiculous easy.

yarn 411

15 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

I always lock my cats out of the room when I baste my quilt! It's looking great.

That Plum Clafoutis looks yummy!

7:05 PM  
Blogger Auntly H said...

wow! I think I'll leave the quilting to you. It sounds really hard to me.

The plum clafoutis, though, that I might have to try for myself. I miss Brennan's.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Sandra said...

great quilt!

1:31 AM  
Blogger YarnSnob said...

Beautiful quilt! Masterpiece!
Cats are the same, wooden floor, no rug, nightmare for them! When Im blocking, Holly is always there, waiting to sit on top of it.

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Sue said...

Murphy's Law says any animals in your family will head for your quilt sandwich when it is being basted. It is looking fabulous. The recipe looks good, too!

3:52 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

It looks great! Good job! And so funny on the clafouti! I'm making one (my first) for Father's day. I'm making a cherry one. Great minds, yada, yada...

10:55 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

HAHA! I'm sure it wasn't quite so funny while it was happening, but your description of the whole ordeal was hilarious! The quilt really does look gorgeous, and you totally deserve a massage after it's done!

3:21 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Oh basting is my least favorite part of making a quilt! my knees always ache when I'm done.

9:22 PM  
Anonymous joanne said...

the quilt is gorgeous- i admire your effort!

i just got a homemade life from amazon last week. i made the ginger and chocolate banana bread- amazing. the plum dessert looks great; thanks for the tip!

9:28 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Oh goodness! That tart looks delish!! Seriously, what isn't delicious from that book!

11:18 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

You are so inspiring! That quilt is beautiful, simply stunning. Your sock from the post before is luscious to say the least. That color rocks.

I have that book on my list to get, maybe even today I may head out to BN. I just bought a little box of those plums at Brennan's and my kids went crazy over them.
I love Brennan's, my favorite place for fruit and veggies.

Wow, so glad I checked in today.
susie

8:14 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

As a French teacher I must applaud your clafoutis--so delish:) And we also had a dog that couldn't deal with slippery surfaces, it was quite hilarious! Also, when did you start quilting? Your top is amazing.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

The clafoutis looks amazing! I made Molly's French yogurt cake with lemon last weekend, and it was yummy and very easy. I miss Brenna's, too.

Sounds like quite the quilting adventure. Can't wait to see the finished product!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I'm not a quilter at all, but your quilt, the colors, the fabrics....oh my. It's just lovely. Keep up the stamina. You'll have a lovely finished project that will be an heirloom!

3:25 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Gosh that quilt is so pretty! Great colors in there! This is the part of quilting that is the hardest I think. Finding a place to make the sandwich, then the sewing. One day I'll be rich and be able to send it all out to be done after I finish the top..yeah, not holding my breath either :) Drooling over your tart too!

10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home