Peaknit

Sunday, May 10, 2009

inspired...so I went shopping

9781416551058
A Homemade Life :: Molly Wizenberg

I finished this book yesterday morning. I absolutely savored it all week. Each part of the book is capped off by a recipe - developed by the author, her family or friends - or otherwise tweaked from a magazine or other source. Each recipe has an imaginary string which ties it to a memory or a time in the author's life. I am enamored. I judge a book as a winner when, when I am finish the last word I close my eyes, sigh and think "who could I buy this for?" This is that book for me.

As a result, all week I plotted shopping for my own Mother's Day breakfast. You see, breakfast is my most favorite meal of the day, and contrary to my husband's opinion that it is only for morning - I believe in the power of breakfast at any time of day. It is true that I squirm with a joy a little when I go to a restaurant that will serve me crepes at noon. So I decided, page 89 :: Burg's French Toast it shall be.

I took the day to myself - my debit card, my book and a list. I went to my favorite shops - Trader Joe's, Williams-Sonoma, Brennan's and Whole Foods. I find the food stuff at these smaller, fancier digs to be decadent and a treat, I get full just looking. I can't afford to buy the whole week's she-bang at Trader Joe's but oh, I am smitten with the dried figs.

I bought a number of things I hadn't before - but they each made sense and tickled my taste buds at the mere thought. I purchased some Sherry Vinegar (I coulnd't find the author's suggested Banyuls - but I will), Scharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate, raw, shelled pistachios, crystallized ginger, baby arugula and those dried figs. I felt so good rolling in with my recycled brown-bags filled to the brim. I felt ready to cook, ready to eat.

Voila my breakfast::

toast
the aforesaid french toast...with whole milk and fried in oil - egads, decadent right. But oh, so good.

Two thumbs up Molly Wizenberg (I love her blog, too!) I loved this book and hope to make a special something for weeks to come. I truly appreciate good food and tastes - so for lunch Bread Salad with Cherries, Arugula and Goat Cheese (page 115), for a birthday treat later in the month The Winning Hearts and Minds Cake (page 312), for my family this week Pistachio Cake with Honeyed Apricots (page 278) and with dinner, Arugula Salad with Pistachios and Chocolate. I will be sure to report on each one - now aren't you hungy?

many of her recipes can be found here. but really, trust me, you need the book.

ps - Happy Mother's Day, mothers. My most special gift today was my 9-year old riding her bike. I cried a little. We live in a spot with no sidewalks and we have a lumbering hill of a driveway - so it's been hard to find the space without pressuring her to learn, she is so afraid to fall. Anyways, while I was out buying my food goodies yesterday, her dad helped her learn. What a treat to see her hair streaming behind her - and no daddy hanging on. Hurray for Libby!

14 Comments:

Blogger Jodi said...

Sounds like a lovely day, a great menu, and a neat book! Congrats to Libby on her biking success.

I miss Brennan's! BTW, Trader Joe's has national pricing, so here in Chicago (and even more so in NYC) it's often cheaper than the regular grocery stores. Prices at the regular grocery store were a huge shock to me when I moved to Chicago from Madison, esp. on dairy items.

5:41 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! We must be on the same wavelength, because I bought that book last night when Snowboarder and I went to the bookstore after dinner. I've heard such great things about it!!

Happy Mother's Day!

Huh, Jodi's comment now makes sense about Trader Joe's. I always think of that as the cheaper of all the fancy stores and sometimes cheaper than our grocery store. Living in the Bay Area...so not cheap...

6:15 PM  
Blogger yarntini said...

Congratulations to the big bike-rider and Happy Mother's Day!!

No Trader Joe's or Whole Foods here, boo. That french toast sure looks yummy!

6:36 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

Good call on that book - it was excellent!!

7:07 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

wonderful Mother's Day and oh, that french toast...my mouth is watering!

7:12 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

What a decadent breakfast! I think this type of grocery shopping is best. Usually I find it a such a chore. We don't have Trader Joe's or Whole Foods, or anything like that.
And Yeah for Libby - it makes my Mama's heart swell with pride and joy when my kids accomplish something! :) Happy Mother's Day!

7:46 PM  
Blogger ulli said...

what a wonderful treat to start your morning, and congratulations libby!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Oh what fun you must have had! That french toast looks abosolutely delicious--you sure know how to make a nice breakfast:)

Congrats to your little one on learning to ride her bike! I am sure she must feel pretty jazzed:)

Going off to check out that book now.

11:45 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Oh and Happy Mothers Day!

11:46 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

What a milestone, goooo Libby!

7:43 AM  
Blogger Cinnamonamon said...

congrats, libby! and i'm glad you had such a nice mothers day, peaknit! ;)

6:59 PM  
Anonymous joanne said...

yay, happy mother's day!!! i heart orangette, and i didn't know her cookbook was available in stores yet-- that's so exciting! i'll be running to get my copy soon. i've tried 2 or 3 of her banana bread recipes, and they're each different and amazing.

congratulations to libby! that's wonderful! i can't wait to see her show off her new skill soon!

9:37 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Yummy! What a great Mother's Day -- and congrats to Libby!

1:24 PM  
Blogger bobbi said...

I LOVE FRENCH TOAST!!!!
it looks so good i think i'll go make some for me right NOW! yummy!!

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home