Peaknit

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Birthday K.I.S.S.

As in, it's my birthday, and I chose to Keep It Simple, Stupid...

Grand plans never seem to work out - so I went for a less traditional lazy day with little treats just for me. By 10am I had watched East of Eden on Netflix. This was a thrill for me becasuse the book is one of my favorites ever, and this classic has proved to be impossible for me to catch on TV. Netflix let me just stream it right on my laptop - nice. And it's a free trial - so I got a birthday present from Netflix *wee*!!

Then I went for a walk and listened to a podcast of This American Life. Also a favorite. I just love Ira Glass. I just love NPR.

Then I shopped for landscaping ideas at a local store with my dh AND had a bagel sandwich - I know, simple, right?

And I worked on a second lonely Tessarae. My first needs a friend. Truth be told, he has needed a friend for a year! The two line pattern is ridiculous easy - love that. And The Woolen Rabbit is some pretty nice yarn to work with.

tesstexture
doesn't he look sad?

For dinner I had rhubarb pie, and for dessert I had birthday cake. Can't really top that. My mom makes the best pies ever, I am pretty giddy to have my own pie, happy birthday to me.

I'll end my day with a good book.

And lastly, I enjoyed reading a post by Carrie (who is sharing the Molly Wizenberg love) and followed a link to this blog post...my eyebrows raised when I read "practice joy". I like the concept - to practice feel good things. My whole day was kind of like that - silly, simple things that I savor. It's kind of a nice concept to put into your pocket. So practice joy, friends!

26 Comments:

Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Happy birthday! Sounds like a lovely day. I agree that walking during Ira Glass's show is one of life's great simple pleasures!

9:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a perfect day. :)

9:24 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a wonderful day. That's the way I like to celebrate birthdays, too :)

10:16 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:05 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

Happy Birthday...a day spent just they way you wanted...what more could you ask for!

11:05 PM  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like a day very well spent!

6:17 AM  
Blogger YarnSnob said...

Happy Birthday! Eat plenty of cake, chocolates and drink plenty wine :)

7:37 AM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Happy Birthday! KISS - sounds like the perfect plan.

8:57 AM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

Happy Birthday! That sounds like a pretty perfect day!

9:19 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

What a perfect, perfect day -- Happy Birthday! The rhubarb pie for dinner sounded particularly great. :)

9:37 AM  
Blogger wiscjennyann said...

Happy birthday!! (Mmm, pie!)

9:43 AM  
Blogger ulli said...

happy birthday! hope it counts even a day late....

11:23 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

Happy belated birthday! What an awesome day!

1:11 PM  
Blogger Neuroknitter said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you had a great celebration of you!

Welcome to the joy+ride!!

2:29 PM  
Blogger yarntini said...

oh no! I didn't see this until a day late but happy happy birthday!!! It sure sounds like it was an awesome one!

2:32 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Sounds fabulous! Happy birthday -- you certainly spent it well. :-)

Lovely socks. I've been eyeing the Woolen Rabbit yarn for quite some time now but have never succumbed.

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Isn't it great when your special day turns out just right? I just bought the Molly Wizenberg book and I picked up a couple others too...Ha! The Olive book! You Too!!(Olives are my least favorite things to eat, so it didn't grab me at first! Jeanie Z.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like had the loveliest of days! Good for you!

5:36 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Happy Birthday!!! your day sounds lovely!

9:16 PM  
Anonymous tiennie said...

It's your birthday and you can do what you want to!

I never knew that East of Eden was a movie. I'm going to have to watch it on Netflix too! :)

9:39 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Happy happy birthday!! Sounds like you had a fabulous day!!! The pie sounds delish!!

Okay, and get out of my head, girlie! That book is the next one I plan on reading after A Homemade Life. It was actually a toss up between the two, but I felt like baking!

And yes, welcome to the joy+ride.

10:53 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Happy happy birthday. Sounds like it truly was a joyful day.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Happy, Happy Day!! Sounds like it was great!! :)
Suzanne

7:20 AM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Well Happy Birthday, a few days late! It sounds like you had a lovely day! I love having my birthday in May - it's such a beautiful month!
PS - like the socks too!

8:09 PM  
Blogger a friend to knit with said...

oh my. the traffic was so bad on my way to your party! so sorry i am LATE!!!
happy birthday! here is to joyful times!!!

11:18 AM  
Anonymous kim said...

Happy belated birthday. It sounds like a perfectly lovely day of doing all of the things you love with those you love.

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home