Peaknit

Wednesday, May 13, 2009

TGIF...

As in Thank Gosh Its FINISHED!

noro3
Noro Kureyon Socks - with a Pattern from Hello Yarn

Gosh - I did not like this yarn. I know others did, and I am baffled why it was such a drag for me. It just seemed so course. But the finished socks are kind of cute and glady, done. I did a pilates hundred to get this pose. The neighbors must have loved it. Oh yes, I scooped.

I also finished whacking this skein on Monday.

fc_duckfeet
Funky Carolina Merino in Duckfeet

I was sick to death of the color yellow by the time I got this off of the wheel, I have to be honest. But I do like the finshed yarn - and it's the most yardage I have ever acheived with 4 oz. - 290 yards - woot! But here is a question for spinners out there...do you just covet your handspun? I seem to be - doesn't it deserve to grow up to BE something? But what? Wow, that is so hard.

Lastly, I saw Elizabeth Berg last night - my favorite author! I learned that she has a newsletter she sends out which include a recipe and that she has a blog!

I enjoyed the reading so much. I purchased the book - which seemed silly after I tried to "do the right thing" when I rented it from the library. But when I learned she was coming to Madison, I could not fathom going to the reading and leaving empty handed. Anyways, I got there early and re-read my favorite part (pg 33) - savored it a little. Well, when Ms. Berg started her reading - she started with MY favorite part - it was like karma. To those who have read, I will never go to Anthropologie again without thinking of the main character, Helen. I mean, they should have someone doing exclusively gift wrapping, shouldn't they?

She was a treat to listen to, and wonderful in person. I felt a little giddy, like this woman would "get" me - she shared her lust for words and described herself as "a pain in the ass as a kid because she was so creative" - wow - my own mom could have said that. Gosh, I think she has.

p.s. I have continued on my quest to bake like Wizenberg. I made the Pistachio Cake with Honeyed Apricots. I felt a little sassy taking such fanciness to share with my co-workers. It was especially delicious to the pistachio lover. I also made the Arugula bread salad with cherries and goat cheese. to die.

25 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Pretty socks! I love the colors of the Noro sock yarn, but I don't think I could get past the texture enough to knit a pair of socks.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

Your homespun is to die for (dye for???). It is just beautiful. I would have a hard time knitting it up if I had spun it. (Not that I spin. My mantra: No new crafts.)

And you've convinced me that I MUST own A Homemade Life. As a fellow Madisonian, you will not be surprised to hear that more than 90 people are on the waiting list at the library.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Carrie said...

I am right there with you on the Noro. I like my finished socks ok, but working with the yarn drove me nuts...I don't know what was worse, the texture or the yarn vomit every ten minutes! My knitting time is too precious to have to deal with that!

6:05 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

Oh, I love, love, LOVE that handspun! It's so super gorgeous. It deserves to be coveted. :)

And your socks are pretty darn cute, too.

7:25 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

The socks are definitely cute - love the shoes too! Handspun is gorgeous! I would have a hard time deciding what to knit with it also.
I'm knitting a striped shawl in the Noro sock yarn now, and it's very coarse. I'm hoping that it softens up with blocking and some wool soak (maybe hair conditioner)?

7:58 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

Wow they are some beauties! Glad to hear you weren't mooning the neighbours! :o)

9:35 PM  
Blogger Hunny said...

You have to tell me where you got those shoes. They are exactly what I have been looking for in a pair of mary janes. PLEASE!!!

10:51 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Such cute socks!! Gotta love the colors!

I have two skeins of Noro sock in my stash. Gifts from Snowboarder the Christmas the yarn was released and I just loved that he picked it out and I'd never seen it....but then all the bad reviews and the scratchy...oh it sits untouched :(

And I just love your handspun!

12:48 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Really,really love these socks but I am with you on the Kureyon--HATED IT. Too splitty! You might like the Silk Garden, however. I really prefer it.

6:06 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Love your socks! And your shoes..are those Keens? and thanks to you I'm now on the EB bandwagon!

6:25 AM  
Blogger Nancy Topolski delicately perched said...

That yarn that you spun is so beautiful. My favorite thing about spinning is the way unusual colors end up looking so wonderful together. I rarely knit up home spun because I never have enough yardage for something worthy.

7:40 AM  
Blogger coffeechris said...

You HAD to buy the book with that experience and karma --- so happy for you. Kindred spirits - my Mom, Grandmother and Sister all DID say that about me - now, I feel so honored to be among great (creative)company.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

You know, I just made a shawl out of some Kureyon Sock and...I didn't love it either. It kept twisting all around on me and it was really annoying. Anyway, your socks are fab and so is your newly spun yarn!

10:28 AM  
Blogger YarnThrower said...

Count me in the group who wants to know where you got your shoes. They are adorable, and I've been looking for just the right pair of mary janes for years...

12:06 PM  
Blogger Ella said...

Ha ha! I've had TGIF moments too... congrats on finishing those socks!

Love the handspun too!

1:19 PM  
Blogger mle said...

The Noro socks are beautiful! Why do so many of their yarns have to be so coarse though?

3:27 PM  
Anonymous tiennie said...

Those are awesome socks and the handspun is very pretty!

3:57 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

The socks look fabulous! I love the look of Noro socks, but the feel of the yarn itself really turned me off.

The handspun's gorgeous, and the book-signing with E. Berg sounds neat! How cool is it that she picked your passage at the reading?

9:30 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Love the new sockies and your yarn its gorgeous! Did I mention how much I love yellow and purple:) Two of my faves for sure.

Happy Friday! I think I will do a TGIF post two... just to follow in your footsteps te he....

1:56 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

Oh I love those socks! And the pic is great too - makes me happy!

6:22 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

Those socks ARE really cute, but I don't think I would ever knit with Noro sock again either. It's so rough. Your handspun is simply amazing.

4:16 PM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

You are so cute: )

That's all I have to say. Love your blog so much.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Noro yarn is fantastic!

1:26 AM  
Blogger Mr Puffy's Knitting Blog: said...

I love your socks! I've heard others say that yarn isn't the nicest to knit with.

I have *discovered* pistachio nuts lately and can't get enough of them. They bake up nicely in biscotti.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Amanda Jean said...

that first photo makes me so happy. it's so great!!!

10:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home