Peaknit

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Singing in the Rain

Or at least knitting in the rain...

duckfeet to duckies
Duckies in my own handspun, Funky Carolina aptly named "Duckfeet"

Our "stay-cation" has gone well. Despite some chilly, rainy weather, we finished every landscaping job we had planned, and some we did not. Now we are tired from the work, and tired of spending money on plants. I swear we did a Southeastern Wisconsin Garden Center tour - I've seen enough. Now I must rest, with my knitting.

Actually, the week has been productive on the needles as well - I managed to sneak stitches in in the car between stops, at a restaurant, before a movie and during several more at home. I have produced the pair of Duckies and cast some Cotty's on last night. Sport Weight socks may be my new immediate gratification project. It is nice to have a sock grow so darned fast. I think my sock mojo is found.

We did have a little fun on our stay-at-home working vacation. We ate out waaay much and enjoyed a few mojitos. Today we hiked a Kettle Morraine Trail, Scuppernong (don't you just like that word, Scuppernong?). I bought the book "60 Hikes in 60 miles", thinking we could have a summer of family hiking fun. We decided on this first hike that we are perhaps not in as good of shape as we thought - egads. Maybe if we had brought a picnic...

two_duckies

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whew! I am tired just thinking of buying and planting and hiking and mojitoing(better than mosquitoing). Love the pair of duckies... is that a gardening injury on your leg? Owie! Let the sun shine and the little plants grow...do you talk to your plants when you put them in the ground? I do... just a few encouraging words..please let me see what you can do..green, yes..flowers,yes yes! Enjoy the week end, Jeanie Z

4:42 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

I LOVE your duckies! Adorable. And congrats on finishing all of your landscaping projects! That's quite an accomplishment, since it's still May, and all. :D

6:49 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

Oh, such magical handspun turned into beautiful socks. Gorg!

8:16 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

I just LOVE your duckies! From your own handspun too! So awesome!!

Yay!! Can't wait to see what yarn you chose for your Cotty socks! Sport weight socks are pretty fabulous!

8:16 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Can I just tell you how awesome it is that you took a big wad o' (lovely) fiber and turned it into an adorable pair of socks?? Extremely awesome.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Love the Duckies! Good job on all the landscaping work too.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the duckies, you picked a perfect colorway for them. Even better is using your own handspun for them :)

10:15 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Really cute socks! I'm glad your staycataion was a success :)

11:14 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Lovely duckies! Perfect that you knit them from your own handspun! It's a great pattern - not to hard, but easy enough to be a take-along project, and looks more difficult than it is. WHEW - what a run-on sentence.
I have a pair on the needles myself in some yummy Yarntini.

6:15 AM  
Blogger t does wool said...

oh,my,yum...lovely socks...

8:12 AM  
Blogger Victoria said...

Love the socks, SO cute! It's so cool to see a project go from fiber to handspun to socks. Very cool.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Susan B. Anderson said...

Wow, you are amazing. What beautiful socks and you really made them yourself.

I may or may not pop into the knitting tree to see Ysolda. We are heading out to the farmer's market right now and maybe I can pop in on our way home.

I caught my daughter's sickness, such a horrible sore throat last night I couldn't even sleep. I probably shouldn't spread that around in the tiny knitting tree.

We'll see.
susie

10:35 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Sounds amazing and intense! I love the cozy looking socks -- sportweight is so nice and quick.

Did you make it to Monches Farm on your gardening shopping? That place is pretty neat!

1:56 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Yellow and purple go so well together!
the hiking sounds like a great summer activity! you are lucky you have so many great hiking spots near you.

3:25 PM  
Blogger Trisha said...

I always get a feeling of pride and accomplishment when I finish a pair of hand knit socks. I can't imagine how it must feel when you have spun the yarn as well. Your socks are beautiful!

1:40 PM  
Blogger Morticcia said...

Your duckies are the duckiest! What an accomplishment, from roving to sock. Lovely lovely. :-)

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home