Peaknit

Friday, October 06, 2006

Pondering Socktober, the questionairre

When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class?

I started making socks about 18 months ago by taking a class at a LYS. I learned top down on 4 dpns. Since then I have taught myself toe-up and the two circular method.

What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time?

My first pair was a plain generic top down sock out of some Regia self patterning - they have held up but are kind of ugly:)I don't want to waste my time on ugly yarn anymore! 18 hours a skein with ugly yarn, that's just wrong!

What would you have done differently?

Picked Koigu or some other nicer yarn!!

What yarns have you particularly enjoyed?

Yarntini!! Socks that Rock, Koigu and Cherry Tree Hill. I also have some from Scout J and All things Heather that I have stashed, they are awaiting their turn to become socks.

Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method?

I usually use the 4-5 dpn top down method, I like using the multitude of needles - makes me feel like I am really working hard to get the sock started until it starts to flow.

Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

I like the short row heel - though I am drawn to decorative funky heels - just need a pair of clogs to showcase them!

How many pairs have you made?

Well, pairs???...maybe 3 or 4, but I have quite a singles club started!!:) Ihope to get some of these guys matched up for Socktoberfest!

In addition to Socktober adventures, I have joined a "sock kit" swap on Townsend's yahoo group - should be fun - and I can kind of go off my yarn diet by vicariously living through my pal! I haven't really figured all of the details, so we'll see.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, that's a big undertaking for one month! Good luck! Can't wait to see how much you get finished:). And Grey's... right back at ya... SERIOUSLY! I love that Meredith is smiling more this season! But seriously, McVet needs to go... his coming out from the bushes... kinda stalker-like. McDreamy all the way! And omg!... did you see the preview for next week?! Meredith might be pregnant! Don't know how I feel about that one!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Laura said...

i love the socks you are wearing in your photo! so cute with the shoes. :)

good luck with knitting mates with all the singles. i always find the second sock goes faster!

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home