Peaknit

Friday, December 29, 2006

Swapping dilemma...help.

I am in the Knit Mitt Kit Swap run in part by Scout J. We send a mitten pattern, yarn, handmade bag and whatever other goodies to our partner on January 16. I am mulling and mulling over what mitten pattern to get my partner - I'm a nerd that way. Really overthink things. So I ask you blogging world, what would you do? She suggested that she liked Hermione, a mitten that is interesting, knit out of Cascade 220 - a perfectly great mitten with a cable and bobble. I have seen the mittens done in Manos, a nice twist - way more exciting (to me?) than Cascade, obviously more cha-ching - of course. I even have ordered the pattern, caving under pressure, I really do want to make my partner happy. But then there is THIS mitten, the Diamond Patch. It is out of sock yarn, and I did find some fabulous Cherry Tree Hill here. The colors seem to be representative of what my pal likes - I just think they are fabulous. This pattern and yarn excite me...hmmm, maybe I am answering my own question here. Maybe I should get the Hermione for my pal - who is newer to knitting, and knit myself some diamond patch mittens out of the fabulous Yarntini I already have. Oh, gosh - thanks for listening. Funny how we answer our own questions more honestly when it's there in black and white... but really, what do you think?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Hermione (yea! Harry Potter!) mittens would work better for a new knitter. I LOVE the diamond pattern ones. So pretty! I didn't look too closely at the pattern, but since they're knit in sock yarn maybe you could make a lining so they would stand up to a WI winter better :).

10:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also go with the Hermione pattern, especially since she asked for it. Patchknitting is not everybody's kind of "thing".
Best wishes
Dianne's secret pal ;-)

1:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the Hermione are way better for a beginner, but I like the diamond mittens better. Do like you said, get the diamond pattern for you and the other for your pal.

Okay, your sister is really cute (she looks a lot like you), your yarn from Jessie is so beautiful beyond words, and your knitted gifts are the best. Way to go!

By the way, I have 2 skeins of Yarntini that I bought just because of you. It is the most beautiful sock yarn ever. When I see your post it makes me want to get some more right away! I could see it as a little snack so don't think you are alone.
best, susie

7:27 AM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Do the diamonds and bring them in so I can see them. They look very interesting.

9:54 AM  
Blogger peaknits said...

I thank everyone for their opinions...and agree, I think I am going to try to find the diamond mitten pattern at a LYS before I would order it - for ME:) And the Hermione is coming for my pal. NOe to find the right yarn to include - any more suggestions??:)

11:21 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I would go with Hermione! For a newbie knitter, it seems like a great pattern, and you know that she will like it.

Has she used Manos before? If not, I would send her that. Cascade is always nice, and the cables and bobbles look very distinct and lovely in it, but if she's already a Cascade-user, it's not too much of a surprise or treat. Lorna's Laces Bullfrogs and Butterflies is another nice worsted weight yarn that's like a fancy schmancy Lamb's Pride.

I'm bummed I didn't sign up for KMKS! What a fun swap.

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home