Peaknit

Saturday, February 10, 2007

Book ho

I am what I am. I have scored some good books this week. I am thinking I should open a library. I did once ask my library about donating some of knitting books - figuring they could kind of store them for me, other people could benefit - but you know what they said?? "Sure, bring them in and we'll decide which ones we want and we could put the rest on the used book sale." What the... I wanted to say - "did you see your sad, dated knitting book collection?" doh!

To start - I ordered and received Favorite Socks: 25 Timeless Designs. I wasn't expecting it to be available until April - I follow Amazon and keep on top of what books are coming out (and hide them on my wish list). But then Jamie the Knitting Bandit said she had it - I was on a quest to find out where she got it and how I could get my own. I was able to order it direct through Interweave - I didn't get a discounted price, but the true book ho has to make an occasional sacrifice. I am waiting to really savor it later when the kids are tucked in but just a quick peek - it looks like a good little resource and it came highly recommended after I inquired with the Bandit. (so maybe Lady Knitterly and I could get our knit on?)

I also received Loop d Loop - it's been around awhile but I saw a sweater on a blog - the lace leaf pullover - okay, with my leaf fetish, again, another must-have. The sweater is somewhat unstructured and is made up with a bulky yarn - could be a quicker knit for the non-sweater knitter. I've completed one teeny sweater for my then-newborn daughter.

And lastly I received Dream Toys. I enjoyed making Stella so much for my daughter that I wanted Claire Garland's next publication. And honestly, I have been in Crafter's Choice book club - another excuse to get yet more books... I needed to meet my purchase commitment - a now it's sianara CC. I hate having to send that darn card in each month.

I also received my new IK magazine yesterday - I think I could crawl in my kids' tent with a flashlight and popcorn and easily keep myself entertained for the rest of the weekend with all of the browsing. Creative juices just rock!

I have continued paging through my new Hancock's of Paducah catalog - it's like a crayola box of color. You can go over and request your own! And I love Molly Bee's suggestion of a purse and and lining with the robin's egg and pink yarn and fabric. I am thinking I could build on her suggestion with the Velma bag by Amy Butler and a cute little knit cosmetic bag with a zipper and lining. Another delightful project for the queue:) Thanks Molly Bee!

And if you missed Betz White on Martha - she did a nice job demostrating her charming cup-o-joe pin cushions. I need an i-cord knitting gadget now! You can see the spot on the internet for the next two weeks - mosey over to Betz's blog and follow the link.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My fave out of the new IK is the ruffled surplice. I can't for the life of me think of a yarn that I could sub for it so this may be the one time that I use the recommended yarn :).

I'm off to watch the Martha clip, I love those pin cushions. Thanks for the link!

7:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stacey, you can never have enough books. You will love loop-d-loop, Teva is a genious. Did you see she has a crochet version coming out soon? I am not a big crocheter, but I will have to get that anyway.
I have been waiting for that sock book and I didn't realize it was out. Thanks for the tip. Betz was terrific. Yay Betz.

6:45 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Aw, Stacey, I have to, have to, have to wait until the book comes out on Amazon... Free shipping (well, you know, combined with other (COUGHCOUGHoperaCOUGHCOUGH) things plus less money... I have to save my pennies. To buy sock yarn with. Hee.

But take a look at the patterns and tell me what you are interested in. If you like something that was published before I might have it (I recognize some of them from the magazines, though I don't have all of those issues...)

I love the Bonsai Tunic from the new IK. Hmmm, kinda reminds me of, um, er, #$@&! Embellished V-Neck!!!! Calm....calm.... The dollar and a Half Cardigan is nice too, and I also really like the Keyhole Top. Why do I always pick the patterns with like a thousand pieces you have to piece together?

9:40 AM  
Blogger Mo said...

When I read this post I had to smile about your comments about the library. I'm a librarian and you would not believe the junk people want us to add to our collection. Staff have to say we might put things in the booksale because people will literally give us books that are torn or smelly or worse. Unless your library is really short on shelf space, I'm sure they'll love your books!

1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home