Peaknit

Sunday, June 24, 2007

editorial comments

lily

I was just over at January One reading a particularly interesting post giving a low down on several stores she shopped at in San Francisco. She gave, what appears to me, a very honest assessment of the shops she saw and how she felt when she was there. My impression is that she felt like she didn't belong at one of the shops. Found the staff unfriendly, maybe even unhelpful. Some commenters were upset by this assessment, while many others were totally on board - perhaps the dissenters felt their store was being dissed? But honestly, haven't we all been to a store that feels like that? I will sometimes go father into Madison (through beltline traffic and construction people!) just because I really like how I am treated at one store versus another. The closer store has an awesome selection but I never feel welcome, no one ever speaks to me - but I remind myself that I am not usually there for the warm fuzzy, just yarn dammit. *wee* Don't you think it would behoove an owner is to try to foster a great "vibe"? I mean, this is knitting right? I am sure I am living a pipedream to think all knitters are warm and helpful people, but I do think they mostly are - call it denial. So wouldn't a shop be wise to emmanate this as well? I am not as ballsy as January, I am not going to name names because the pickins are kind of slim really and I need these shops - however, if I went on vacation somewhere I would be glad to tell it how it is. *wink*

I sensed from more recent posts that January One was uncomfortable with people leaving her blog ruffled, maybe it wasn't worth continuing. (I may be wrong here) I think a blog, a web log, is just that - an on-line diary to be honest and share what you're thinking - not what you think people want to hear, right? So I vote she keeps on blogging! please.

Immediately after I wrote this post I headed to Madison to both aforesaid shops - and true to form - not one person acknowledged me at the first shop - not an employee, not even another customer, I walked out empty handed perhaps in part due to this, I can't really say. But the second shop, I was able to get some fabric I needed - dual purpose, and the addi turbo lace circulars I have been dying to try. Score!

I was also able to find some of the cool Zulugrass bracelets at Wild Birds Unlimited, of all places. Double Score!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree.. it was just an opinion and should have been left to the owners/employees of the store to own up to the fact so many people agreed with her and look into the way they do business.

I frequent a few shops in Madison when I'm there and just KNOW when I walk into one of them... I'll be left mostly to my own devices. And if I happen to need any help, I need to be VERY aggressive in obtaining it. Most of the time, it's not worth it.

There's also a shop in my local area where I only go there when I want or need something that they happen to carry. I always run into the owner and some of their employees "having a bad day".

It happens everywhere and I think any shop owner, big or small, no matter the product they are selling should be FULLY aware of how they broadcast themselves.

3:46 PM  
Blogger Veronique said...

I agree with you too. I think that January One has sooo many readers that even if only a small percentage of them disagree strongly with her, it makes quite a mark. I bumped into her and she seemed quite distressed and the many *many* not-so-nice emails she's received. It's such a bummer to get mean emails :(

6:41 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm glad you found your zulugrass! I bought some from the online vendor you suggested. Hopefully the colors I picked don't look too silly together.

Everyone has an opinion about everything. And they are all valid. It frustrates me when people disagree for the sake of disagreement. If there was a difference of opinion about how January One felt about the shop, isn't it more productive to say "I'm sorry you had a bad experience." Rather than getting upset. Hopefully she can brush it off and keep going. It would be a shame if a few people changed how she writes.

8:53 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

I'm with you. I appreciate people being honest on their blogs. I may not agree with what people say, but there's no reason to be downright mean.

BTW, what's your favorite yarn store in Madison? I'm heading up there sometime in July (provided that my husband actually takes a weekend off from work) and spending some time at a friend's home on Lake Waubesa.

I think Waubesa is the only Madison lake I haven't gone swimming in, which is a pretty gross thing to admit.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

4 shops in my town. 2 of them I only go to if I have no choice (Yeah, sometimes we have to make sacrifices for our craft. Imagine going into a yarn store only because you had no choice). But I know other knitters who love those two shops. It would be boring if they were all the same. I think people should relax and stop being so sensitive. I feel bad for Cara. It sucks for her to be "attacked" like that.

10:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home