Peaknit

Monday, June 18, 2007

A little help from your hobbies...

fort-health-care-building

That's what I read on a heart health brochure in the E.R. today. Somehow I took comfort in that. So how did I get in the ER? I ended up there with some chest pain and arm numbness - I am a pretty high strung person, so the tight chest stuff is somewhat normal but that pesky numbness threw me for a loop. So off the the hospital I went. *hint**don't google your symtoms* After being hooked up to a bunch of things, a chest x-ray and bloodwork, I got a little pill and was out the door a couple of hours later. So it ended up being no big deal, I felt a little foolish - but then I think of my girls and needing to be healthy for them and dammit, if it's just anxiety I should just find out:) I think what precipitated the whole gig was a ridiculously stressful custody transport I was part of on the job today - imagine a large (unfriendly, slow, overcrowded) metro jail, and a partner who forgot her i.d. leaving me to go it alone with belly chains and leg irons to cuff up the 210 lb dude myself. MY hands were a little cold and shaky at the thought - I knew I could do it, but it was a little inimidating. That was merely the beginning of the cluster...but now I am home and ready to relax so I can try this again tomorrow.

The hospital staff were so friendly and kind and considerate. No one made me feel like I was 3 fries short of a Happy Meal showing up with what ultimately is "stress related atypical heart pain". The trip was as enjoyable as it could be really. I was eventually able to relax and regroup - when you think something is going terribly wrong it is amazing how close the emotions come to the surface. I was thinking of my kids, my husband, would they be okay? So a tiny serving of perspective today. It's a good thing. A trip back to yoga for some meditation might not hurt either:)

While I was laying there hooked up to contraptions waiting, I was thinking about my ipod laying out in my car ...I could have listened to that Socks in the City podcast Susie suggested. Or worked a few more inches on my Fitted Tank if I could have manuevered around the finger pulse thingy. (so much for just resting, eh?) But it is almost as though blogging and knitting has be the medicine that really does the trick - just like the brochure said...a little help from your hobbies - so do it for your health people!:)

11 Comments:

Blogger sharon said...

I'm sorry that work gave you that much stress. Something similar happened to me once, and it was nothing that day but two days later I was home sick. my body's way of saying slow it down I guess. Just take a rest and do the things that take your mind off it.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm so glad you're OK! Better safe than sorry. Especially when there is chest pain AND arm pain.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow!

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad you're okay!

9:50 PM  
Blogger jo-na said...

wow. first of all, any job involving belly chains and cuffs would make anybody anxious! i'm glad that's over. second, isn't this what the ER is for - to reassure people that they're healthy so they can sleep at night, and figure out which people are sick and need treatment? third, nobody at the hospital can think you're crazy for wanting a diagnosis or at least reassurance, because if nothing else, they're people too and have been in the same spot. and fourth, yoga sounds amazing - could that relaxation be helped by some chocolate covered pretzels? (my snack of choice tonight - I'll share!)

10:32 PM  
Blogger cbknits80 said...

I'm so glad you are okay!! That must have been scary, but that's why ERs exist. Lets hope today is better and stress free.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry you had such a scare! I got worried when I was scrolling down and noticed you had been in the ER... You are so right though about the knitting and listening to podcasts... Knitting is really cool this way it gets you through the hardes times!

1:46 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

What a scare! It's a relief that you're OK.

When the going gets tough, the tough get knitting...

6:58 AM  
Blogger Sandra said...

that damn stress! Glad you are back on track! Also glad you took care of chest pain!

4:54 PM  
Blogger Tina said...

Yikes! Scary. I'm glad it turned out all right, and that I'm not the only one who thinks about knitting at odd times! ;)

12:22 PM  
Blogger Diana @ Photodee said...

Glad to hear you are ok! My uncle just had a heart attack on Monday! Both you and he need to relax and take care of yourselves!

8:09 PM  
Blogger Knitting Bandit said...

Oh my God! What a scarey day. Which was worse? The big dude or the health scare! Wow. I had no idea you had such a tough job, you need to buy more yarn, Girl. Lots more. You deserve it.

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home