Peaknit

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

when life gives you lemons...make limeade?

lemonslimes

Lemons...limes...signs of summer. Today was gorgeous in Wisconsin - the sun was good and hot - I think I got a little pink while my daughter napped and I knit away in the sunshine. I just hate "laying in the sun"...I'm too anxious to just hang out and bake. But to knit on the deck, not caring if I have a tan line of yarn accross my leg, actually welcoming the thought - now that is "laying out". I worked away at my second Yarntini sock - I turned the heel using the short row technique from Wendy Knits but I adapted it with this snazzy tutorial over at misocrafty - thank you Veronique! My second heel is fabulous, no tell-tale holes - my first heel will be jealous for sure.

So anyways, the lemons and limes. My husband and I dug out maybe a hundred raspberry bushes over at Gramknits' house on friday...worked beautifully for both of us, Dianne thins her bushes and we have a raspberry patch to look forward to. Dianne said my girls would eventually be able to take a little bucket out and pick berries...SOLD! Isn't that a sweet image? My daydream did not include them pushing each other and stealing berries out of one anothers basket - wouldn't be a dream then,would it? In addition to the reward of my potential berry patch, she shared limeade with us - from scratch. Truth be told Dianne is a bit of a jack of all trades, poor man's Martha Stewart - but she forwarded me this limeade recipe. I made simple sugar using Splenda - not as good as the real stuff but better for the kids. Then we added Torani Raspberry Syrup - you could get sugar free of this but this is apparently where we added our octane.

And Voila, limeade - what a refreshing treat. And I finally have a use that neat wooden reamer I had to have the last time I was at Crate and Barrel. Does anyone else have a kitchen tool they had to have but almost never use? Like the Pampered Chef Apple/ Corer/ Peeler/ Slicer? A hand held cheese grater like the ones at Olive Garden? Tupperware contraptions? Maybe it's me...

Tonight I hope to make progress on the cuff of my second Yarntini sock and then I can show off the heel. *wee*

6 Comments:

Blogger a friend to knit with said...

OH, I have many kitchen gadgets I HAD to have but never use! I do use my wooden juicer though! Love the pic!

Looking forward to seeing those yarntini socks!

7:45 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have a zester and a cherry pitter that have seen more action that you'd think.

There will definitely be the knitting version of laying out this weekend.

9:00 PM  
Blogger 5elementknitr said...

I read about your cherry pitter search over at Chicken Knits. I saw someone on TV use a part of an old percolator coffee pot and she said she and her boyfriend pitted 10 pounds of cherries in just minutes! It's the part that sits in the coffee pot, basically a small metal pole on a round flat base. (Can you tell I never drink coffee, much less make it?)

5:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Misocrafty's tutorial about short-row heels rocks! I will probably frame it one day and put it on the wall!

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Small update: There is an enveloppe and a parcel on the way to you. Both are forming the second parcel for SP 10 :-) I assume they will arrive separately.

Have a super weekend! Your Secret pal

7:05 AM  
Blogger Gramknits said...

Wow, the poor woman's Martha Stewart has tons of those kitchen items that get used only a few times in many years. I can't resist. Never ever look in my kitchen cabinets or the overflow in the basement.

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home