Peaknit

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Astrid and Veronika

astrid and veronika

What a delightful read. I just wrapped it up last night and was sad to close the book, sad to say "good bye" to Astrid and Veronika.

It is a story about two women suffering their own unique tragedy. They happen to become neighbors in rural Sweden. They become unlikely kindred spirits and share so much, it seems without saying so many words. Astrid is an 80-year-old woman who has led a sad life but through Veronika finds hope and joy. Part of her story, as a mother, I found nearly unbearable - it taints her character for me but my heart hurt for her all the same. Veronika is in her early 30's who has had a different kind of loss but through Astrid is able to recommit to her life and move forward.

The cover really attracted me, the deep red, berry-stained hands. The writing is so descriptive and sensory. I am grateful for a book that pulls me in emotionally, that makes me physically feel anxious and heavy hearted. It was enchanting.

2 Comments:

Blogger Molly Bee said...

This sounds great! I just ordered it from the library! I just read Thirteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. It was SOOOOO good!

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That cover is beautiful. A great cover is so important. I love your book reviews.

6:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home