Peaknit

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Up to me ears in the craft-ees.

I got it bad, a case of the craft-ees. I have been elbow deep in a few too many things lately and it is really hindering my desire to go to my day job. "Work" feels like a such a waste when I could be sewing, spinning, knitting, reading....you know? I feel like I should be on summer hiatus or something. So Monday I did it - went for it. Called the boss at 5:30 and asked for a day off - only MY boss would be there at that insane hour... but a solo vacation day is just wonderful. An impromptu vacation is even better.

I read:

37161900

Charming.

I spun:

hello_yarn_TDF

I'm spinning my fool head off for Tour De Fleece - I plied a second skein today - gosh, I don't think I like that plying part...

And I have been quilting:

disappearing_9-patch

A Disappearing Nine Patch table runner using the Rachel Griffith of ps i quilt tutorial, find it here. I used Anna Horner Fabric in Good Folks. It was so fast and I like the funky-ness. I may have to repaint my dining room to match - on my next unplanned day off, em.

And I am working on this babe quilt for my expectant sister:

yarn 605

I created this with the help of another tutorial at the Moda Bakeshop by Amandajean of Crazy Mom Quilts. These tutorials rock. And I love this quilt - and I can't wait to have a niece or nephew to wrap up in it.

Lastly, I am gearing up for my next Quilt-A-Long. The Old Red Barn Co QAL group at flickr could not bear disbanding - so here we go again. This time it will be a zig zag quilt - like this one. I am planning a twin using some Heather Ross Mendocino, with a few solid linens in the mix. Please come and join us.

Mendocino Zig Zag Quilt-A-Long

So clearly, as crafters - you have to see my dilema...work...craft..work...craft. Such decisions. I guess for now I'll trudge to the day job to feed the fam AND the habits.

15 Comments:

Blogger cbknits80 said...

I love the fabric for the new quilt. I hear you, I'd so much rather craft then work!

8:40 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Yay, it looks like an awesome day off! The yarn you're spinning is so pretty, and that table runner brought a smile to my face when I saw it.

8:50 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

Oh, I feel the same way. But I need more than a day off. Your quilts are amazing!

9:56 PM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Holy cow, looks like you have a GREAT case of the craft-ees. Everything you touch is turning to gold. Love that disappearing 9-patch pattern.

Heather Ross' fabrics are so cute!

10:28 PM  
Blogger Shrinkie said...

Lol, I think I'm your Southern Hemisphere twin! I have been collecting the same Mendocino colourway to make a zig-zag quilt with (the ORB Quilt-along is just what I need to get it done!), I ahve a stack of Good Folks FQs and after seeing your table runner I now know what they are going to become, and I am trying to kni up a storm also! I have two baby sweaters and a baby quilt due for delivery next week. And tomorrow I have a day to myself _ I'm going to see a cheesy chick flick in the am, then sew up a storm for the rest of the day. SO much rather be crafting than working at the moment *sigh*. Good on you for giving in to the desire and having a 'me' day - time well spent by the look of it!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

A craft day sounds the perfect mental health day. I so understand the pull of craft! I often get up early and craft -- which makes going to work painful!

Your quilting is beautiful. Nonetheless, I repeat my mantra: No new crafts!

7:26 AM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Yup, I'm elbow deep and I only practice ONE craft!

10:38 AM  
Blogger knitmom-wi said...

I know what you mean...I just want to be on my deck spinning or knitting. Work is so tedious in the summer, plus I have a whole lot o'crazy on my plate at work now (epic conversion in 2 wks)...fiber is my reward for behaving at work during the summer. Hope to see you at knitting soon!

5:14 PM  
Blogger Amanda Jean said...

i love the bright colors of the table runner. and i love your stacked coins quilt, too. nice work!

12:52 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

I love that table runner!!!

12:18 AM  
Blogger Ella said...

I love it! I love that you took the day off to just do STUFF. That right there is inspiring. Plus the stuff you did - I love the table runner and the quilt! Yum!

Hooray for you and your day off!

9:49 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Well, I sorta look at work as something that helps support my crafting habit monetarily. Some days I think it's such a shame that I have to work....
I would get so much more knitting done if work didn't get in the way! :)
Looks like you had fun!

9:02 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

wow...what you can accomplish on your days off!!

9:10 PM  
Blogger Jodi Nelson said...

The table runner is fabulous! Love the colors. And that baby quilt is so cute.

7:01 PM  
Blogger rachel griffith said...

your table runner looks great!!!
:)

7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home