Peaknit

Tuesday, December 01, 2009

stunned disbelief

ugly_mitten

Wow, isn't that an ugly mitten? Remember when I was so excited about this mitten? I am almost embarrased to stand mine next to that pair - but even I can admit bad taste. I somehow chose a "scrappie" handspun, and egads - I should be ashamed. I am being a little facietious, but really - this is ugly and I can admit it. It might be even more awful in person. BUT I love, love this pattern - the mitered mitten by Elizabeth Zimmerman (rav link). I have wound a more consistent bit of handspun and am casting on tonight. A mitten with better chances at a beauty pageant, I hope.

Have no fear for the Ugly Mitten. I am going to put it in my car and use it for scraping my car windows this winter. It will be like Nester the Long-Eared Donkey (do you remember this holiday claymation - I have a story to tell about that at a later date) - it will come through in the pinch and probably end up earning the title of best-mitten-ever. I have always rooted for the underdog, so it will not go unloved - because it's what is inside that counts.

I am making myself giggle a little. It is probably fair to see that this Ugly Mitten has made my day - and will make me grin a little all winter long...

17 Comments:

Blogger Auntly H said...

It is not, perhaps, the most beautiful mitten ever, but I don't think it's the ugliest, either. It's handspun, it's hand knit, it's an EZ pattern. That's a lot of virtues right there. And if it keeps you warmer while you scrape your windows, it's a winner!

8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, I think it's kind of cute.

8:17 PM  
Anonymous Carolyn said...

My first knit was a mitten and I've not wanted to ever knit a mitten again. Gotta start somewhere I guess! :)

8:25 PM  
Blogger knittingma said...

I *love* it! I'm not kidding, I think it's super. And I agree with you about the pattern -- love that, as well.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

It's unique in a cute way! I'd totally wear those mittens.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Well, I like it! I've gotta try this pattern. Hey, you'll be out there stylin' while your scraping the windshield though ;)

10:48 PM  
Blogger mle said...

It must be much worse in real life because I don't think it's ugly at all in the picture! but I know how pictures can deceive so I will take your word for it. Glad it will serve a noble service this winter though! LOL!

11:14 AM  
Blogger YarnSnob said...

It's not an ugly mitten at all!!
I think it's rather cute.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

I'm in the majority here. I like it. It has a random, handspun quality that is endearing.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

I don't think it's ugly at all! It's all colorful and Noro-like!

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow ... that is definitely not as ugly as I expected... in fact I'd agree with most that it is quite nice! Kim

5:07 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

Hello. My name is Kristin. I'd like to put in an order for two ugly mittens to scape my car too (except that I might not use them for that purpose). Stacey, the mitten looks just fine, better than fine, actually. I've always looked to you as a tasteful knitter, and you've never disappointed. Not even with that pretty mitt!

4:01 AM  
Blogger Jeanie said...

Aww it doesn't look as bad as you say. It looks pretty cute. Maybe it could be the Amazing Technicolor Dream Mitten..Definitely a one of...Maybe you will get to use it this week end..

6:57 AM  
Blogger Trisha said...

You crack me up!!

3:50 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

I like it...you are too harsh on yourself ;))

6:00 PM  
Anonymous =Tamar said...

It's wool, and you won't lose it in the snow. I have much uglier mitts and I use them.

5:27 PM  
Blogger Amanda Jean said...

i don't think it's ugly at all!!! but hey, if it works for a scraping mitten...well, here in WI, i'm sure it will get lots and lots of use. :)

5:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home