Peaknit

Sunday, December 06, 2009

try and try again...

better_mitt_fit
voila - a better looking mitered mitten! Pigeonroof Studios Helleborus, spun by moi.

I really enjoyed the comments on my ugly mitten, here as well as on flickr and ravelry - such positive support for the ugly mitt! It was karma that I deemed it the "scraping mitten" because lo and behold we got hammered with snow on Thursday, and are expecting ridiculous amounts throughout this week. So the dear ugly mitt will get a lot of love, I'm afraid. I cast on this one immeidately thereafter, and started with a garter cuff and used the thumb modifications. I am very happy with it - it's a little thick, but I guess mittens are supposed to be warm. I am planning to cast on another pronto.

I am doing no holiday knitting so far - ack. I have been feeling overwhelmed this week - so many things going on. Today at church we were given a nanosecond to "pray silently in our heads" and man, I wanted to raise my hand and say "WAIT! I am not done!" Tis the season for all things on the spectrum from good to bad.

The good news was that my gram had a wonderful showing for her 89th Christmas - yay family!

IMG_6303

I bought my gram a large-print volume Twilight - I mean, why not.

10 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Kris said...

First of all - love your new mitt! Gorgeous colors....and such a neat pattern!
I also love the bottom photo. I too, share books with my Nana. In fact, I was just going through my books to pass onto her and my mom last night!

5:07 AM  
Blogger Renee said...

Lovely new mitten!!
Your gram is going to really enjoy the book, sending her Happy Birthday wishes.

8:10 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Haha, they NEVER give enough time for the silent prayers!! I try to keep going, but then the pastor starts up again, I lose my train of thought...I'm like, "Dang, I was really on a roll there!" :)

I love your new mitt (though I liked the other one, too!), and I hope your gram loves Twilight. What a nice granddaughter you are!

9:45 AM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

What a great picture of the three of you! Lovely! And the new mitt...so purty!

12:23 PM  
Anonymous kim said...

You have no idea how in awe I am that you can first just whip up a batch of yarn and then just whip up some mittens from it. Unbelievable! Oh, and there was nothing wrong with the first ones in my opinion...

8:57 PM  
Blogger t does wool said...

love the new one...and hello to you all!! Happy Birthday Gram!

10:02 PM  
Blogger cbarnwolf said...

I hope you got your other mitten done in the nick of time. :) They are very pretty and necessary with all this snow we just received.

8:03 AM  
Blogger Journeying Five said...

I love your new mitten. Where did you get the pattern? Ravelry?

10:50 PM  
Blogger Amanda Jean said...

that mitten is gorgeous! do you think that it is an acceptable newbie knitter pattern?

happy birthday to your grandma!!!

5:58 PM  
Blogger The A.D.D. Knitter said...

Love this so much! I had a terrible experience with the Mitred Mitten,I hated mine. Next time I'll do the alternate thumb placement that so many have recommended on Rav.

Also,word verification below is 'rantings': it's like they know me:)

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home