Peaknit

Thursday, May 27, 2010

wrap up

Picture 217
:: for the Sew-Along with Fresh Squeezed Fabrics...

A quick wrap skirt - well, quick I hope. I'll let you know. This is my current project. I ordered the fabric from fresh squeezed to join up with her sew-along. Randi initially sent me the wrong fabric - when I pointed this out she immediately sent me out new - and said "now you can make 2 skirts" - how fabulous is that customer service? Two thumbs up for sure.

This long weekend has been just full. My husband and I took Thursday and Friday to paint our kitchen/ dining area - which was all cooked up when we decided to purchase a new refrigerator. I have seen so much aqua and candy apple red over at Lovely Little Handmades that I just had to jump in and go a little funky in the kitchen. It is so much fresher looking with the aqua and red walls. Now I'm thinking I need to start working on this quilt for the blank canvas the paint job left behind. After the skirt, I am telling myself...MLE Knits is working one, and she sparked my love the little village. I think I will hand draw little houses and then paper piece - sounds over my head - but worth a try.

sarah's pastries in Chicago

On Saturday, my sister and I went to Chicago on the train to celebrate our mutual birthdays. She was my 8th birthday present, born 22 minutes after my actual birthday. Exchanging gifts just feels silly - so we cook up things to do together, which has gotten increasingly tricky as she has entered motherhood - but all good things are worth the effort. We had drinks at Emerald, cupcakes at Sarah's (a staple of the trip - and I had to get her cookbook - such a book ho) and did a little shopping on the Magnificent Mile. We are always amazed how we go with money jangling in our pockets, yet still come home with almost nothing. Some Lush and lipgloss. But it's the fun away together that counts. We are thinking up something extra special amazing for my 40th next year. Can't wait. to. turn. 40. That's just crazy talk.

Yesterday we celebrated, again, with my folks. My mom has a little pool for the girls and serves her famous "man food" (grill = manfood at mom's). It's a bit of a tradition. I made some yummy gingersnap baked beans - the simple recipe to kick up baked beans is a keeper.

Anyways, today is a lazy old work day getting the kitchen put back together, farming the old fridge out and hopefully some quality time with my sewing machine. I hope your holiday has been fabulous - I feel a little spoiled - and I like it. I am sad to see my birthday month end...the older I get, the longer birthdays get to be celebrated, seems like a fair deal to me.

Lastly, if you are my partner from Amber and Sarah's Crafty Swap - I will try to be crafty - I have been in a lull, getting the house and yard ready for summer. I promise to beat it down to my sewing machine right now:)

5 Comments:

Anonymous kim said...

Happy belated Birthday! It sounds wonderful!

6:58 PM  
Blogger mle said...

Happy Birthday! That's cool sharing it with your sister...almost like twins!
I can't wait to see the start of your little village! Mine is on hold for a little bit until I finish some other projects. I started out with making a tree...they seemed easier than the houses.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Sounds wonderful!! I just love the idea of red and aqua walls in a kitchen. How cool. And your skirts are going to be adorable!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Knitting Kris said...

I turn 40 next May too, and in lots of ways, it seems impossible. I like the idea of a whole new phase of life, but it's scary, you know? I remember my parents clearly at this age. How did the become almost 60?
Glad to hear that your hubby is feeling better and up to house projects!
Here's to a great summer!

3:35 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! Sounds like a great trip!

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home