Peaknit

Wednesday, June 02, 2010

finished object...yay

sew along
Make It Perfect Versatile Skirt in Joel Dewberry fabrics

I finished this skirt in just a couple of hours - and that is including some mistakes cutting out my pattern...which led to a spot of rum to quell the disappointment. Bummer, rum slush. I had to capture a picture because I thought the rum slush looked just gorgeous next to my fabrics. I love when my adult beverages and my fabrics want to coordinate. The fabrics in the following photo are closer to the actual shades.

slush fund
2 hours earlier

Easy Peasy Rum Slush

Throw all the following together in a big tupperware::

12oz can of concentrated orange juice
12oz can of concentrated lemonade
48oz can of pineapple juice
3 cups of water
1 cup of sugar
1 cup - and a little - of light rum. I bet Malibu would add a nice tropical flavor.

Freeze it up - usually at least overnight but often a bit longer, the alcohol keeps things a little soft. Scoop a bunch into a cup, add 7-up (or diet 7-up - as the slush is a bit lip-smacking-sugary.) Add paper umbrellas or cherries for a bit a panache. Voila - a yummy party drink. And a lovely little sewing helper.

And I have a skirt to wear to court tomorrow with a white cardi - it's a little sassy, but won't I just have a little rum-a-licious secret when the judge is passing sentence on one of my probationers? I'll be transported to a sunshiney place in the dankest of circumstance, and my orange will coordinate with the inmate's jail jammies...always good to find the silver lining.

...and speaking of orange and lock-up...

orange_custom

I just finished Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman. She tells the story of her trip through federal prison. She was a successful business woman who was arrested for a crime she had committed many years hence. Though I think some of her observations oppose my own beliefs because I work on the other side of the law - the book was very interesting and enlightening about the prison experience. My favorite quote was "chickensh*t people enforcing chickensh*it rules" - yup, that about sums it up. A lot of petty things go on within our system - but I don't have a solution - so onward.

7 Comments:

Blogger Amber said...

Ohhh I want to make a skirt like that, do you have a link to the pattern?

11:16 PM  
Blogger sewtakeahike said...

your skirt is so cute! love the rum slush secret. My drink of choice at those particular time is very girly, but a kahlua and skim milk on ice works wonders on my attitude!

7:36 AM  
Blogger Kari said...

Is the skirt reversible? Very nice.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Very cute skirt! My sister made one too. I think I just can't resist any longer. I already picked out some Amy Butler fabric so I can have one too.

7:27 PM  
Blogger sarah said...

hi! i'm sarah, co-captain of the super crafty swap with amber...just wanted to let you know that i added links to everyone's blogs on the sidebar of my blog. thought we all might like to see what our fellow crafty swappers are up to.

i'm a big time lurker of your blog...calling myself out tonight ;) i really enjoy all the things you make - and am coveting those pink, red & turquoise socks in the post below!

8:36 PM  
Blogger Renee said...

Now that's a great way to co-ordinate!! Cute skirt!!

8:42 AM  
Anonymous Winnie said...

Lovved reading this thanks

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home