Peaknit

Sunday, July 18, 2010

deja vu day

It is deja vu because I finished a sock today! And because this post will look very much like my last one. A sock and a pin cushion on a Sunday.

The makes two pairs in two weeks - but to be fair I have to admit that I had one of each done for more that a year, waiting for a partner. My knitting penpal, Christine, and I swapped a sock of our choosing last year - with the intent to knit the second sock - avoiding the whole second-sockitis. We decided we would secretly pick a pattern and try to use a sock yarn our partner had not tried. I knit Christine a Marilinda using Woolen Rabbit last year during Obama's inaugural speech - so it's been awhile since we swapped. I thought it was funny how we both chose Cookie A. patterns, but you know what they say about great minds. Anyways, I started my Marlene when I received it but knit it too tight and had to pull back the whole cuff. omg. I took a year-long deep breath and voila - my pair.

finished Marlenes
Marlene by Cookie A. in String Theory MCN

I like the squoosh factor of the String Theory, if my stash weren't threatening to take over my house, I would buy some more myself. I absolutely love the definition of the stitches, so many knit-through-the-back-loop stitches hanging out together makes for a fabulous pattern party.

I also received my pin cushion from the swap. I was so thrilled to find this charming hippo from Australia in my mail box on friday. Meet Martha Mirabelle Washington from Amy of Badskirt.

Martha Mirabelle Washington

I love her sweet face - doesn't she look like she is yearning for friendship here? omg, adorable and to think I will put some sewing pins in her hinder. Just seems wrong, don't you think? She will be a wonderful addition to my sewing table, encouraging me on through each project. A perfect friend and a delightlful swap - thank you partner! And thank you for the fabrics and darling ribbon you included - if you only knew, Amy, how many times I drooled over your shop goodies...

10 Comments:

Blogger Walden said...

Socks are lovely! Your little pincushion is adorable!

7:41 PM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Such pretty socks! I love that pattern. I admit that I tried it once and it was too tight-- I need try it again :)

I love the pincushion. It's so cute! Lucky you!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

Those might be the most beautiful pair of socks I've ever seen! I love them!

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Kitten said...

Ooo, I love both the socks and the pincushion. Swaps sound like a ton of fun, but I'm always afraid of getting involved in anything like them after a bad experience when I first started blogging.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Hilary said...

Oh, gorgeous socks! That yarn is amazing...it almost looks like it's glowing in the twisted stitches. And the hippo pincushion -- too cute for words!!

2:48 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

You make some mean socks! Those are AWESOME!

9:01 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

Gorgeous!! Love both of your new socks and the pin cushion is too precious!

12:07 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Wow, those socks are incredible...the color, the pattern and the stitch definition! I may have to check out that yarn (ignoring of course that I in no way need more sock yarn). I also really like the idea of a sock swap like that although I have a fear of making socks for other people!

I love Amy's hippos...you are so lucky to have such a cute small pincushion version!

11:40 AM  
Blogger D. Jean Quarles said...

Love the socks. Very cute.

11:44 AM  
Blogger sewtakeahike said...

I wish, I wish I could bring myself to knit a pair of socks for myself Stacey! And here you go knitting a sock for someone else! That would be pure torture to me. Seriously. Anyway, your sock turned out great after the year long break. It looks like a perfect match to the one your friend made. And you already know this from flickr, but I love your new pincushion. I just adore everything Amy does! I swear, even if she only had ugly fabric (which she doesn't at all), she would make the most fab things from it.

9:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home