Peaknit

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

How to create a friend a knitting friend - Negotiation 101

So my friend, one of my dearest pals can knit - we stayed up late last fall while her husband was hunting and she learned the knit stitch. She is a lefty. I am a righty so this was not just a quick process. But she licked it and has been happily knitting garter stitch scarves since. So I keep saying, let's move on, how 'bout that purl stitch? How 'bout some knitting in the round? She hems and haws about taking a class - I cheer...but no class. So she says do a run with me, I say "no, I think I hate it". Ah, hence the negotiation. She is considering a class at the LYS The Sow's Ear:

Beginning Knitting Part 2. Work on a hat and learn to increase, decrease, knit in the round and other skills that will move you along on your knitting journey. 3 sessions, $45 includes pattern. Monday, November 27, December 4, 11. 6-8pm

While I am considering the Beer Run.

This could be a break through people - and tis a win-win. And not just because the run includes microbrew, pasta and a live band either. I might just train and get in shape while I am molding a knitting friend - I feel almost deviant, like I am creating a clone (no Sheep named Dolly here but somehow "clone" sounded better than "Frankenstein"). Give me one bitchin knitster who can go to "late night" knit events at the LYS with me, who can share my sick passion for yarn, who can stich. and. bitch. with me. Excuse me while I get my running shoes on! Wait up buddy, I have some yarn for you! And some needles....and some markers...wait.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Definitely sign up for a run. A goal will make you stick to a running schedule. Remember, time doesn't matter. Finishing does.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thumbs up for beer run! I am gonna support you - will have a beer!

6:48 AM  
Blogger Carrie said...

Congratulations on your winning sock photo! I thout about entering but just didn't have the time. And seeing all the lovely photos and socks I was humbled anyway!

I am done with Backyard Leaves! OK, 99.99% done. It will get mailed tomorrow! I love it. This means I can start working on Swallowtail again... And I do need a shawl at the opera - the Met is so cold! Not initially, but all that sitting really cools the blood!

Good luck with the running thing (she says from her couch). Just kidding. Personally I think dancing is a much more fun was to get some excercise!

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am the friend that she is negoitating with! Running in exchange for learning a new stitch....I think I could let that happen. For those of you who do not get the pleasure to spend real life time with this fabulous woman, she is the best person you can have in your life. She is the most talented, creative, kind-hearted, beautiful woman. I am so blessed to have transferred to her office for work in 1999 and still have her as my bestest buddy ever. She has shared and taught me some of her awesome talents, but most importantly has never passed judgment on me and has always had an open ear and a shoulder for me to cry on. Buddy, I'm looking forward to knitting, bitching and sipping chocolate martinis :) Oh and of course, running!

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home