Peaknit

Monday, December 28, 2009

My BFF's keeper...

Lame title, I know. I just rented My Sister's Keeper - it's my only defense.

CanonXT 211

Anyways, I made a keeper for my new Kindle. I totally know that I ordered a sturdy carrying case for safekeeping. However, I love it so much, I thought it deserved immediate protection. I sat down and whipped this guy up yesterday - seriously, a little more than an hour with a screw up - because inevitably, I put two female snaps on the case and the flap - doh! That is how I roll though - make an error on close work - but when I stand back - ah, there it is...so I expect it and don't even mind anymore. Well, sometimes I don't mind. Other times I have a drink. *hee*

I just cut out 4 pieces of fabric 7" x 10" (plus the flap on one) - including piecing some of the front patchwork which was leftover from my favorite quilt. I made a seperate inside flap of the patchwork fabric and then cut the solid colored back piece to include the flap. I figured the flap with some simple compass work. Anyways, two mini quilt sandwiches sewn together with binding. I did place the snap (male and female sides, eventually) before I quilted, so I only had to hammer it through one layer. Then I handstitched the binding back - easy peasy. And I love it. I iron'ed on the cute label because I got 50 of them awhile back when I saw them at splityarn's blog, so everything gets a label around here. I also think it makes anything look a little less then a happy accident and more like a real project.

So far I have read 2.5 books on the Kindle, it is so simple to read. But, on the same token, it is easy to order a book, anytime, anywhere - while it's a cool convenience, this could blow the book budget.

Of the books I have read recently on my new Kindle friend - I would recommend Labor Day by Joyce Maynard.

LaborDay

The book focuses on Henry, 13 years old, eccentic mom - kind of lost and feels like he is not good at anything. Strangely enough, an escaped prison inmate comes into their lives and affects them in many ways. Mostly making life better. It is easy to feel empathy for each person - including the inmate - they are quite likable, but none so much as Henry.

11 Comments:

Blogger Journeying Five said...

okay I may be naive, but I gather the Kindle is an online reading subscription? Do your eyes get tired looking at a screen?

6:40 PM  
Blogger peaknits said...

Actually, the Kindle is an eReader, a device you can have books downloaded to via 3g technology - so almost any book, anywhere - to read on the device. Good fun!:)

7:20 PM  
Blogger Trisha said...

Cutest little sleeping bag ever! It must be fun to tuck your Kindle in ever night.

I didn't know you could rent books for your Kindle. Pretty cool. Is it free or do you pay a small fee?

10:03 PM  
Blogger Zonda said...

Love the keeper for your Kindle!

10:29 PM  
Blogger Caffeine Girl said...

You are so handy with a sewing machine. Can't believe you made that in an hour!

8:07 AM  
Blogger Kate (KnitsInClass) said...

Love your Kindle's "keeper" - I really should sharpen up my sewing skills.

Thanks for the link to the labels - I'm going to have to get some now.

8:21 AM  
Blogger mle said...

Oh I LOVE your kindle keeper!
I kind of want an eReader now that I know you can upload pdfs. That is going to be SO handy for knitting patterns!

9:24 AM  
Blogger Marisol said...

Super adorable little bundle of joy this shall be! You have mad skillz my dear:)

11:42 AM  
Blogger Jodi said...

Very slick little case! I'm so glad to hear that the Kindle is fun -- definitely on my wish list.

Thanks for the book recommendation, too!

11:00 PM  
Blogger IrishGirlieKnits said...

So cute!!! I think I need to come up with something cute like that for my first edition Kindle (its a bit bigger and wouldn't look as cute in the sleeping bag...hehehe). I just need to become a faster reader too!

10:18 PM  
Blogger Knitterella said...

The the cozy you made. Still love those colors and prints together!

I don't remember the last time I read a book… I admire that you read so much. Maybe it will be a New Year's resolution to read one or two :)

7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home